June 2, 2009

Rocky Road

Friday night, dinner at my house was steak, potatoes, and asparagus. Perhaps I'm in a dinner menu rut. Those are my favorite things, they're quick and easy to cook, and so I serve them all the time. Plus, Stephen came to dinner, and having just returned from living in Africa for a couple of years, he needed a good hearty meat and potatoes meal. "You need to eat something! You're too skinny!" I'll make a wonderful grandmother.

Porter, Katie, Stephen, and Eric talked about their adventures living in Finland, Taiwan, Benin/Togo, and Romania, respectively. I learned how to say "I refuse you!" in Fon gbè, which should come in handy. Curl your right arm and flap it like a chicken wing and shout something that sounds like "Ing bay!" Also learned the useful Finnish phrase "Parempi avioliitossa kuin Neurostoliitossa," which means "Better married than in the Soviet Union."

I guess my cultural contribution to the evening was the food, and I did try a new Rocky Road ice cream recipe variation. Chocolate Ice Cream plus mini-marshmallows, mini-chocolate chips, minus almonds this time, but plus a fudge ripple swirled in. I got the ripple recipe from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop, and the recipe is online here. Darn good in a waffle cone.

Rocky Road Ice Cream

Eric and I saw Up in 3-D Saturday and loved it. After which, we systematically ranked those cupcakes I accidentally bought into our order of preference. The decisions were pretty unanimous except I would have put the peanut butter banana cupcake solidly at first or second; Eric ranked it a few spots lower. Click the image for cupcake descriptions. You know you want to.

Cake Cupcakes

2 comments:

Steve said...

Did you cut those cupcakes with a knife?

Kimberly said...

No, machete.