May 30, 2009

Cake

I found out about a new cupcake place in Lubbock, Cake, which opens May 30 in South Kingsgate. I am excited to try this place. We have nothing approximating a decent bakery in this town, and I was disappointed with Peace O'Cake Cupcakes. Cute flavors, cute store, mediocre product. I was especially disappointed in their frosting. However, I got the word from Holley that Cake has potential based on the view from the store window.


Also tried a great eatery with lots of local flavor, as Rob put it, that I had never heard of, Ranch House. Yesterday for lunch there I had chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes with gravy, peas and carrots, cole slaw, bread, and pineapple cobbler and ice cream for dessert. I like that this place doesn't make any pretense about what they are. Their menu has a section of "Lite" Plates. I guess the quotes around "lite" mean they're still capable of clogging arteries.

Cake CupcakesUpdate: Remember that time I bought 12 cupcakes in New York? I went to Cake and accidentally did the same thing today. Their dozen was only $30 compared to Eleni's $42.50, though. Yes, we all know Kimberly will splurge on food. Their store is cute, and they had some very lovely cakes on display. I've only tried the Velvet Elvis, a banana cake with peanut butter buttercream and crisp bacon garnish. I'm happy to announce that it was wonderful.

Cake Cupcakes

2 comments:

Steve said...

Do you remember when I was playing "Short Skirt Long Jacket" at work one day, and a certain pharmacist walked by and warned me about it possibly being sexual harassment?

Kimberly said...

Of course I remember! That song was for you, Steve. We encourage sexual harassment here.