May 23, 2009

Man on Wire

Friday dinner and a movie: what dinner menu goes with Man on Wire?


It's a documentary that I'd heard good reviews of from a few people. The movie's tagline:

"A look at tightrope walker Philippe Petit's daring, but illegal, high-wire routine performed between New York City's World Trade Center's twin towers in 1974, what some consider, 'the artistic crime of the century.'"

Seeing as he was a Frenchman, I decided on a French menu. Chicken Cordon Bleu, Perfect Fingerling Potatoes, and roasted asparagus.

Chicken Cordon Bleu

You can't pronounce it "cordon blue" either. It's "cordon bleh." For dessert, vanilla bean ice cream with raspberries and blackberries macerated in sugar and Chambord.

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Berries

I enjoyed the movie. My heart pounded when I saw those camera shots of the view you have from the top of the World Trade Center towers. I can't imagine standing on that wire and looking down. I'm sure if you fell from that height, after 10 feet you’d be going the speed of sound. Then your neck would break when your body broke the sound barrier. Yes, also watched This Is Spinal Tap plus all the extra film footage which was as funny as the stuff that made the final cut of the movie. It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

1 comment:

Auntie said...

Man on Wire was one of my Netflix picks, too. And I loved it. Uncle thought it was weird.

He would have liked it, I think, had I paired it with Chicken Cordon Bleu.

We all have a wire to walk, don't we?