January 20, 2010

Bring Home the Bacon

I got home after 10 o'clock tonight and decided I should fix myself a meal more substantive than my last, which was a breakfast consisting of grazing on leftover Indian food. (Al Gore randomly appeared in my dreams last night, and I attribute that to eating super spicy Indian food close to bed time.) I'm never one for conventional meals. I'm proud of myself for maintaining my resolve to keep the fridge clean and uncluttered, though sometimes that leaves reduced options for foodage.

Tonight I opted for a bacon and egg sandwich starring Cooper's BBQ bacon. I ordered their Hickory Smoked Peppered Bacon along with the brisket last week. Two slices of bacon fried up quickly, then I fried an egg and toasted the bread in the bacon drippings, and with some greens and apple slices on the side, it was quite a good meal.

Bacon and Egg Sandwich

I've ordered three varieties of bacon over the past few weeks, all in the name of foodie tourism. It's my own version of the bacon of the month club - food delivered to my mouth. So since December, we've tried Mt. Petit Jean Hickory Smoked Peppered Bacon, Cooper's Hickory Smoked Peppered Bacon, and Allan Benton's Hickory Smoked Country Bacon. I preferred them in that order, with the Mt. Petit Jean peppered bacon a runaway favorite.

Next up, ice cream taste testing. If you have a recommendation, let's hear about it.

2 comments:

Auntie said...

Oooh, this post is making my mouth water. Just thinking about premium peppered bacon is fun.

As for ice cream, the categories get complicated, though you might start with vanilla for us purists.

My favorite ice cream is Licked-Right-off-the-Dasher-while-your-Ears-are-Still-Ringing-from-Motor-Noise.

Steve said...

You've got a heck of a talent for photography. Those pictures of the ice storm are awesome!