March 3, 2008

Reuben

Reuben Sandwich
Ah, Reuben, my favorite sandwich of late. A Reuben is traditionally composed of corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing on rye bread. There are apparently some variations, such as using pastrami or Russian dressing instead. There's also the "Rachel" sandwich, which has turkey instead of corned beef.

Reuben SandwichYesterday I made Reubens for the siblings. I didn't go to the trouble of whipping up homemade Thousand Island, requiring minced pickles, green olives, garlic, and parsley. Instead, a teaspoon or so each of dijon mustard and mayonnaise on the rye bread provided a good dressing. I added Srichacha chili sauce - an ingredient in my Thousand Island - for a nice kick. I was stingy with the beef since it was running low, but it was still a great lunch.

March = much homework, midterms, and a trip to Taiwan and Hong Kong, so see you in April!

No comments: