December 1, 2009

Breakfast of Champions, er, Champurrado


Winter weather is finally here! Not that I'm not a big fan of cold weather, but I like snow in December. It puts me in a holiday spirit. The rest of the season, the frigid air and short days are a little depressing. But I was very happy to see big, fluffy snowflakes falling this morning.

If the weather outside is frightful, and you need a beverage to warm you, why not try Champurrado?

Champurrado

Never heard of it?
Champurrado is a chocolate-based atole, a warm and thick Mexican drink, based on masa (hominy flour), piloncillo, water or milk and occasionally containing cinnamon, anise seed and or vanilla bean (tasting somewhat like a thick chai tea). - Wikipedia
I used my Indonesian cinnamon (Korintje Cassia) from Kalustyan's. Maybe that makes it less Mexican, but it works.

Champurrado Champurrado

And I threw in a snowman truffle for good measure.

Recipe from Homesick Texan

1 comment:

Auntie said...

People for the Ethical Treatment of Truffles are coming for you.