December 19, 2009

Airing of Grievances

I hope there is a market for my anger, because I've got a lot of it bottled up and ready to ship out. I have a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about it!
Festivus 2009
My annual Festivus party was a typical disappointment. Serenity now!

This year the menu included a choice of three soups, a BIG salad, assorted breads (Marble Rye not among them), and Black and White Cookies.

I ain't no Challah-bread girl

Two races of flavor living side by side. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate, and yet somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie all our problems would be solved.

The Black and White Cookie is a New York classic, and if there's anything that inpsires my angry Festivus spirit, it's anything related to New York. It's a dirty, nasty, cynical place, the least happy state in the Union. I spent the worst weekend of 2009 there.

But these Black and Whites were quite tasty. One of my guests commented that they tasted like muffin tops. Top of the muffin, TO YOU! I used the King Arthur Flour recipe, which was good, but the white icing was a disappointment. I think I'll try the America's Test Kitchen Baking Book Black and White Cookie Recipe next, or perhaps the original Utica bakery recipe.

Happy Festivus to all! I made a donation in your name to the Human Fund - money for people.

No comments: