April 27, 2009

Throwdown

I have a crush on Bobby Flay. Move over Alton Brown. Bobby's got the blue eyes and curly hair and sense of humor and the man adds chile pepper to cakes. Dreamy!

The only time I watch the Food Network is at the gym. So yeah, I'm that person - jogging to the tune of sizzling steaks and stand mixers. Nice. I caught an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay with an amazing menu that I adapted for Daddy's birthday dinner. We had:

Rum Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Grilled Pineapple Relish
Red Chile Rubbed Sweet Potatoes with Green Onion Vinaigrette
Fiery Corn Salsa

Daddy's Birthday Dinner

I was pleased with all of it. I possibly went overboard when seasoning the sweet potatoes. That dark red ancho chile powder rub turned black at grilling. Scott came into the kitchen and saw a 9x13" pan full of those sweet potato rounds and thought they were steaks. Boy, was he excited. Hopefully he didn't find the sweet potatoes too disappointing.

Vardaman Sweet PotatoesAuntie and Granddaddy recently returned from a tour of the South. They went through the town of Vardaman, Mississippi, the sweet potato capital of the world, much like Lubbock is the cotton capital of the world. I'm not sure how official any of these rankings are. Granddaddy said Vardaman sweet potatoes are the best, and everyone wants that name on their potatoes when they go to market. As a souvenir, I got a cookbook with nothing but sweet potato recipes. Some of the recipes sound a little wild. Sweet potato punch?

And for the third year and counting, Daddy got the Best of Show German Chocolate Cake for his birthday cake. I've decided that the Pepper Cake and the Gianduia Cake notwithstanding, the German Chocolate Cake is going to be my favorite cake until I die. And it'll probably stay that way until the next time I make one of those other cakes.

No comments: