January 31, 2008

Birthday Cake

Coconut Layer Cake

I think the most important part of a birthday is the cake. That's all. I mean, you can get presents other times in the year, but how often do you get a cake topped with candles lit afire? That's right! This is why I love making birthday cakes. They're extra special.

Everyone has their cake preferences, though. One of my dear friends loves white cake with white frosting, for example, and that makes me want to recoil in horror. Where's the chocolate? Auntie and I have discussed that most of the world's best cakes have coconut and/or pecans as well.

I had the yummiest birthday cake ever on my 25th, with chocolate, pumpkin, cream cheese, cinnamon. The 25th is not necessarily a good birthday for a woman. An unmarried woman is supposed to send in her old maid registration. Regardless of marital status, we women are supposed to chop off our hair or wear it in a bun for the rest of our days. Miss Manners says so.

What's the best birthday cake you've ever had?

And speaking of happy returns of the day, I filed my taxes tonight and expect a refund, which I shall promptly spend in one place, somewhere frivolous like United.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite was that blazing one in the picture. You did me great honor.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm more of a fan of cheesecake or angels food cake with fresh berries and cream. Though I won't refuse coconut and pecans on any cake.