February 9, 2009

Magic Pan

If Super Bowl Sunday was Man Food Day, the Sunday that succeeded it needed to be the complete opposite. I tried to decide what that menu would include, probably anything that you'd eat at a baby shower: chicken salad sandwiches, vegetables, fondue, quiche perhaps, pound cake. Wussy womyn food! I toyed around with a few ideas but ended up serving crêpes. I probably made 40 crêpes by the end of the night.

Appetizer: cream cheese filling topped with Hot Pepper Peach Preserves.

Crêpes

Vegetable: spinach and fontina cheese filling, plus a dollop of crème fraîche.

Spinach and Fontina Crêpe

First main: prosciutto and provolone cheese filling. Second main: shrimp, crab, cream cheese, and swiss cheese filling.

Prosciutto and Provolone Crêpe Seafood Crêpe

Dessert: Nutella hazelnut spread filling, with macerated strawberries and coconut flavored whipped cream.

Dessert Crêpe

My favorite was the cream cheese and jelly, followed closely by the Nutella crêpe. To me, the only real loser was the seafood crêpe. I bought cooked shrimp and crab legs for the filling, and the meat tasted flavorless and rubbery. It needed some bechamel sauce or something to kick up the flavor. Insert a crappy crêpe joke if you like.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such as my crepes of wrath joke?

Janeheiress said...

Oooh, I am trying not to drool, this sounds so good. I so admire your creativity!

Melanie

Steve said...

Perhaps the seafood one could have used some crepoupon.

Catherine said...

um, yum. Why was I not invited for the tasting?