September 15, 2007

We Shoot Straight with You

Okay, I thought the wild hogs story was quite funny, so I had to call in to the Williams and Hyatt Show to find out more details. That coach is the high school football coach from Gun Barrel City, TX, and he's a regular on the show. I was wrong in assuming that he was an area coach. Gun Barrel City is just southeast of Dallas.

And if there's anything as funny as West Texas hicks, it's East Texas hicks. Rednecks are really the only group left that it's socially acceptable to make fun of. It's my heritage, anyway, so I have a pass. I went through grade school with a girl who swore that her dad was the inspiration for Dale on King of the Hill. I didn't know who Dale was until she told me he was the chain smoking guy in a cap and sunglasses. I have to agree that her dad was just like that guy.

Gun Barrel City is a town of 5,100. The population was only 60 in 1970, when the people voted on incorporation so that the town could legally sell beer and wine, and the population has just been growing exponentially ever since. Their motto is "We shoot straight with you." Gun Barrel has won second place twice in the Governor's Community Achievement Awards, and they have a water tower and everything.

Too bad to hear about their loss to West Mobeetie last week. I bet the coach can't hold up his head at the Dairy Queen. He probably has to get his steak finger basket to go. Maybe there are some beatable teams coming up on the schedule:

2007 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
SEPT. 7AT WEST MOBEETIE
SEPT. 14ADOBE WALLS
SEPT. 21AT BARWISE
SEPT. 28HI-LO BRAHMAS
OCT. 5VS. NICEVILLE, FLA. AT THE JERRY
CLOWER CLASSIC IN LIBERTY, MISS.
OCT. 12MCNAREY COUNTY BRICKBATS
OCT. 19INDIANOLA CONSOLIDATED
OCT. 26AT SPOETZL CENTRAL
NOV. 2CALHOUN COUNTY HIGHBALLERS
NOV. 9MATLER RATLERS

Before you go thinking I'm a completely evil person for laughing at humble Texas towns, I'll have you know that I donated blood on Thursday and participated in an American Association Heart Walk this morning. I'm hoping things will even out on Judgment Day.

No comments: