January 1, 2014

The Year That Was - 2013

Even though the blog is mostly forgotten and abandoned, the least I can do is my annual recap and "Year in Cities" post.

Let's see. When last we talked, I mentioned that I was making wedding cake(s). So that happened.

Photo by Marcie Meredith

I also made a birthday cake for a handsome one-year-old nephew.


I went honeymooning in the Canadian Rockies. Simply amazing. Here are 2 of my favorite photos of Moraine Lake.






I spent the last months of the year after the wedding carbo-loading on homemade bread and German food (so many potatoes!). We almost perfected our rye bread recipe. And I say we did perfect our sauerbraten and beef rouladen recipes.

Once again, Mr. R and I spent our New Year's Eve at Sitka & Spruce. This year they served a special New Year's Eve dinner. My tolerance level for eccentric tasting menus must be decreasing. I think someone just made up words on the menu--geoduck, smelt, acorn cookies, sea beans, spruce salt, fried birch leaves. That's not real! 


We planned to watch the Space Needle fireworks show, but an unfortunate fog rolled in at 11:30 and it wouldn't budge. From Capitol Hill, we could see distant flares that may or may not have been fireworks.

In travel, I visited 3 new states - Oregon, Indiana, and Alberta, CA - and flew to Seattle 8 times, making it easy to rack up the frequent flyer miles. Here's my year in cities:

New Orleans, Louisiana
Seattle, Washington (Twice in March, June, July, September, October, December)
Portland, Oregon
Oops! update: Austin, Texas 
Indianapolis, Indiana
Chicago, Illinois
Whidbey Island and Deception Pass, Washington
Honeymoon in Alberta, Canada--Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise

Previous years: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.

What's on your 2013 list?

3 comments:

Janeheiress said...

Ooh, I love this! I went to:

Providence, RI
Newport, RI
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Asheville, NC
Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC
Jacksonville, TX
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Kansas City, KS
Liberty, MO
Independence, MO

Wendy W. said...

Hey, you came to Austin in April! For someone's birthday. And dinner. Someone's birthday dinner. Hint, hint, hint.

Kimberly said...

I can't believe I forgot Austin when typing my list. It seemed so long ago that I thought it was 2012. But I could never forget the Uchi visit, or the birthday cake that collapsed as soon as Jonathan stopped holding the layers up with his fingers. We will rebuild!